Location(s): Edisto Beach State Park
To view the vacancy online, visit: careers.sc.gov:
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Rich in Native American history, Edisto Beach on Edisto Island is one of four oceanfront state parks in South Carolina.
Edisto Beach State Park features trails for hiking and biking that provide a wonderful tour of the park. The park’s environmental education center is a “green” building with exhibits that highlight the natural history of Edisto Island and the surrounding ACE Basin.
Job Purpose and Duties:
Directs activities in the maintenance and upkeep of facilities and grounds of a state park to include: repair and construction of facilities, repair and operation of motorized equipment, and general grounds activities. Assist with the administration and the operation of a state park, including providing assistance to park visitors.
1) Supervise temporary employees to include training, scheduling work and completing performance evaluations.
2) Directs and performs miscellaneous repairs and park improvements, to include carpentry, masonry, electrical, plumbing and painting to meet established standards.
3) Directs and performs clean-up and housekeeping activities to assure the attractiveness, cleanliness, and safety of park grounds and facilities.
4) Plans and schedules the park maintenance program on a daily basis. Participates in planning winter work projects and the completion of these projects in a timely fashion.
5) Assists with the operation of the park by completing related forms and reports, ordering and stocking items used for repair and clean-up, and performing routine patrol and close-up procedures.
6) Directs or perform repairs of motorized equipment, especially that which is used in his/her area, to include pumps, vacuums, floor cleaning machines, buffers, woodworking equipment, and hand tools.
7) Perform continuous public relations activities.
8) Practice and promote teamwork within the Edisto Beach State Park, throughout the agency and with external agency stakeholders. Represents office as an active member on agency teams assigned throughout the year.
MINIMUM AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
High School Diploma or equivalent and three (3) years’ experience in building and grounds maintenance.
1) Position requires medium to heavy lifting, walking and standing on uneven terrain, crawling and working at heights. Exposure to weather conditions, cleaning agents, and other materials, tools and equipment used in maintaining park facilities and grounds. Ability to work flexible work schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays.
2) Licensed or competent in electrical, plumbing and carpentry trades. Should be able to read and understand written procedures and directions, understand blueprints, and be able to write specifications for materials.
3) Must possess a valid S.C. driver’s license.
Actual Job Location: Edisto Beach State Park.
Full-time, 40 hours per week rotating schedule including weekends and holidays.
The South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.